Friday, September 30, 2011

Cinnamon Scones

When it comes to reading we are about as opposite as two people can get. Except for reading the daily news, geeky tech pages and researching (you know, that tiny detail that you need to do when writing a master's thesis) he avoids reading books at all costs. I, on the other hand, have a Kindle (plug for Kindle here...seriously, most amazing thing ever, buy one!) always by her side and goes through a minimum of two books a week. It turns out that books (or at least the books I read) seem to always involve characters cooking or eating...especially frustrating when reading at the gym trying to work off all those calories from what I do eat.

Sometimes, no matter how much I try to resist I can't and I find myself lusting after whatever food is mentioned in the book. That is what happened this time. The characters were making and eating scones and I decided I had to have a scone right then and there (totally random since I have never made scones and haven't eaten one in at least a year).

Unfortunately, sometimes cravings sound like a great idea but just do not taste great in real life. That is what happened to me. So, while my cooking partner was taking a nap, I gave in and made cinnamon scones (no chocolate chips, raisins, or blueberries in the apartment). The recipe was quick but nothing really went my way and the final product was good but not amazing. I still recommend the recipe (I think a major part of my problem was trying to half the recipe) but if you have your own suggestion for a twist please let me know!

Originally, I thought I would add nuts for crunch but forgot to. Oops!
The original full recipe goes like this:
3 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
5 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons cinnamon
3/4 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup milk
Small amount of brown sugar



Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). 

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon (If you like cinnamon I would add much more!) and salt. 


After  butter is cut in


Cut in butter. Mix the egg, vanilla and milk in a small bowl, and stir into flour mixture until moistened. 





Turn dough out onto a slightly floured surface, and knead briefly. Roll dough out into a 1/2 inch thick round. Cut into 8 wedges, and place on the prepared baking sheet. 

[I then used the rest of my egg (from only making half of the recipe) to brush the top of each scone and sprinkled a small amount of brown sugar on top.]

Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. 

Finished product. Not the most beautiful thing I have ever made.

I ran into problems when it was time to roll out the dough. My dough was incredibly moist and sticky and I added at least another cup of flour trying to get it under control. In the end I got everything in the oven and the final result was tasty but not flakey (given the extra cup of flour no real big surprise there). Guess that just means I will have to make them again another day and try to improve :)

My boyfriend suggested to add some vanilla ice cream on the top of theses warm thingys - he says - it's nearly as good as German Apfelkuchen - without the softness and ... without the apples ;-P

No comments:

Post a Comment