Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Tuesday Tales: Daily Food of a Consultant

Back in the Netherlands this week (as will continue for the next few months). I had some caesar salad on Monday. This typical American salad came with pretty little sauce and anchovies. Not my taste due to the lack of dressing which I heard is very untypical in the Netherlands, Apparently, they usually use as much dressing on top of the salad as possible. Well next time I think I will order some additional dressing :).
On Tuesday I had some mixed meat platter with french fries and garlic butter. Very enjoyable with my colleagues which all took the this meal because it was suggested by the kitchen.
On Wednesday I was driving back to Cologne and had a pretty late dinner in my room. The most entertaining part of my Arabiata pasta was the metal food cover which made me feel like in the good old 70s :).

On Thursday was home office day which brought me back to my Swabian roots resulting in making Maultaschen with ketchup (I cheated though and did not make them for scratch, just mixed them with eggs like I did in this entry).
We had visitors from England on Friday and we showed them around Frankfurt and the famous Dippemess which is a kind of fair in Frankfurt. This night ended in Yours American Sports Bar (not to be confused with Yours Australian Bar also in Frankfurt) where I had these delicious chicken fingers at night (maybe a bit too late at night :) ).
On Saturday we cooked some traditional Schnitzel with Rotkohl and potato salad for our visitors in England to prepare us for Ring of Fire which we played afterwards.
Sunday was brunch day at Lokalbahnhof. We had a delicious brunch and this traditional Handkäse with music (pronounced [ˈhantkɛːzə]; literally: hand cheese) which is a  regional German sour milk cheese (similar to Harzer) and is a culinary speciality of Frankfurt am Main. It gets its name from the traditional way of producing it: forming it with one's own hands.
Strangers to this cheese will probably ask where the "music" is. They will most likely be told that "Die Musik kommt später," i.e. the music "comes later." This is a euphemism for the flatulence that the raw onions usually provide.
The other part is the Grüne Sauce:  Green sauce is a specialty of the German state of Hessen. Areas where it is especially popular include the cities of Frankfurt am Main and Kassel, which lay claim to its origins. The Frankfurt-style Grüne Sauce is made from hard-boiled eggs, oil, vinegar, salt, sour cream, and generous amounts of seven fresh herbs, namely borage, sorrel, garden cress, chervil, chives, parsley, and salad burnet.

It was great to finally try these two traditional Frankfurt dishes after living in Frankfurt for over six months!

No comments:

Post a Comment